Varco's e-drill Rig Operations Control System Earns Kudos
After years of development and testing, customers using Varco International Inc.'s e-drill rig operation control system are reporting outstanding results. Dozens of rigs around the world are now outfitted with e-drill.
"It's great to see our dream become a reality for more and more customers," said Lance Suvans, e-drill Manager. "Developing this technology was a painstaking process in which customers played a central role. They asked for the ability to monitor and troubleshoot rig equipment remotely and we made it happen."
Introduced in 2000, e-drill is now installed on more than 25 rigs worldwide. The Internet-enabled technology proactively manages downtime and optimizes rig performance by helping customers more effectively manage rig operations remotely via desktop computers.
"In the old days, it could take a technician two days just to travel to the rig and analyze an electronic-related problem," said Eddy Redd, Discoverer Deep Seas Rig Manager, Transocean. "Now, the e-drill system can take a snapshot of a technical problem and a solution can be worked out rather quickly. Varco's e-drill Service Center is a proactive tool for better managing downtime."
To provide a glimpse behind the doors of Varco's e-drill Service Center in Houston, the company will feature a fully operational e-drill Service Center at its booth (3741) during the Offshore Technology Conference. Attendees will see how Varco professionals proactively monitor rig equipment to prevent problems and minimize downtime exposure.
Some of the services provided by the Varco e-drill Service Center are:
- On-line equipment problem analysis and direct voice connection to e-drill service engineers, software technicians and a network of subject matter experts
- Remote software maintenance if required and authorized
- Daily on-line maintenance checks to anticipate problems or address training issues
- Daily proactive rig surveys to share knowledge regarding equipment performance among multiple rigs
A "plug-and-play" system, e-drill can be installed in less than one day without any rig downtime or special software. Customers simply need Internet access and automated Varco equipment.
- National Oilwell Varco Announces Norwegian Antitrust Approval of Merger (Nov 16)
- National Oilwell & Varco Merger Approved (Mar 11)
- National Oilwell & Varco Expect Close Merger on March 11th (Mar 07)