Atlantic LNG Train 3 Now Online
Trinidad and Tobago's Atlantic LNG plant has started production on Train 3, increasing the total export of liquefied natural gas to 9.7 million metric tons per annum. The newest train from Atlantic LNG was completed three months ahead of schedule and and makes Trinidad and Tobago the fifth largest LNG exporter in the world. The start up of production at Train 3, producing 3.3 million metric tons per annum (mmtpa), completes a US$1.1 billion two-train expansion project that began in 2000. Train 2, which began operation last August, also produces 3.3 mmtpa.
Atlantic LNG, which established its first train in 1999, is owned by a consortium of companies including BP, BG Group, Repsol, Cabot and the National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago. Equity members in the expansion project are BG, BP and Repsol.
Shareholders are currently engaged in final rounds of talks with the Trinidad and Tobago government for a Train 4 expansion, which would bring total capacity to 14.4 mmtpa. Atlantic LNG said that the first production of Train 3 LNG was pumped to storage tanks on Monday. A newly commissioned carrier, BP-owned British Trader, which has a 137,000 cubic meter capacity, will take the first full cargo of Train 3 LNG on its maiden voyage.
The expansion trains process approximately 1 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day supplied by BP (62.5 percent) and BG/North Coast Marine Area Partners (37.5 percent) from their respective fields off the east and north coasts of Trinidad.
Export markets are Spain and North America. Some 62 percent of the total output of Trains 2 and 3 is committed to the Spanish conventional and power markets. The remaining 38 percent is slated to be sold into the United States market.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)