BHP Billiton Hits Full Capacity at GOM's Neptune Platform
BHP Billiton announced today that its Neptune Tension Leg Platform (TLP) in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, which began production on July 6, has five of six wells on line and has already ramped up the oil production to full design capacity of 50,000 barrels of oil per day. Natural gas production continues to ramp up.
"The achievement to reach full production capacity in just 15 days after start-up on the Company’s first operated, standalone deepwater production platform in the Gulf of Mexico is an outstanding achievement and we’re very pleased with how the facility and wells are performing," said J. Michael Yeager, Chief Executive Petroleum, BHP Billiton. "We have an excellent team of drilling, project and construction personnel, and it is a credit to the team and their excellent work that they were able to deliver a safe and effective production project."
The Neptune TLP was installed in 4,250 feet (1,300 meters) of water on Green Canyon Block 613. Field development includes six initial subsea wells tied back to the TLP. Further development wells are expected to be drilled after interpretation of new seismic data, which will be obtained in the latter half of 2008.
The Neptune field comprises five blocks: Atwater Valley 573, 574, 575, 617 and 618, where water depths range from 4,200 to 6,500 feet (1,275 to 2,000 meters).
BHP Billiton is the operator of Neptune with a 35% interest. Partners include Marathon Oil Corporation (30%), Woodside Energy (USA) Inc. (20%), and Maxus (U.S.) Exploration Company (15%).
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Woodside more info
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
- Woodside To Raise $2B, Look To Offshore Gas Project For Growth (Feb 14)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Maxus more info
- BHP Billiton Resumes Production at GOM Deepwater Fields (Sep 25)
- BHP Billiton Hits Full Capacity at GOM's Neptune Platform (Jul 24)
- BHP Starts Up Production at GOM's Neptune Facility (Jul 07)