Lundin Strikes O&G at Torphins Prospect
Lundin Petroleum announced that drilling operations at the exploration well 21/8-4Z on the Torphins prospect located in block 21/8, production licence P1107, in the central North Sea sector of the United Kingdom Continental Shelf (UKCS), have been completed and resulted in an oil and gas discovery.
Well 21/8-4 and geologic sidetrack 21/8-4Z reached total depths of 8177 ft and 7250ft respectively. Both the main well and sidetrack encountered oil and gas in the Palaeocene sandstone reservoir. The Torphins prospect is defined by a 3D seismic anomaly. The results of the well will now be analysed to determine the commerciality of the discovery.
Lundin Petroleum contracted Transocean's GSF Arctic II semi-submersible rig to drill the prospect. Drilling commenced on June 20, 2008, and the rig is expected to complete plugging and abandonment operations next week. Wells 21/8-4 & sidetrack 21/8-4Z are located 12km north of the Lundin operated Scolty discovery drilled in late 2007.
Lundin Petroleum is the operator with 40 percent interest. Partners are Challenger Minerals (North Sea) Limited and Revus Energy (E&P) Limited.
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Output At Lundin's Grieg Field Back To Normal After Forties Outage (Dec 27)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
Company: Revus Energy more info
- StatoilHydro Makes Small Gas Discovery at Canon Prospect (Apr 30)
- RWE Confirms Successful Luno Appraisal Test, Field Extension (Jan 30)
- Spring Energy Snags Stake in North Sea Production License (Jan 28)
Company: Challenger Minerals more info
- Ithaca Preps Stella Appraisal for Drill Stem Test (Mar 29)
- Challenger Minerals Takes Stake in Bentley Field (Mar 05)
- Lundin Strikes O&G at Torphins Prospect (Jul 21)