Delmar Installs OMNI-Max Anchors at GOM's Pegasus
Delmar Systems, Inc. successfully installed the first rig set of eight gravity-installed vertical load anchors (VLAs) in the Gulf of Mexico. The patented OMNI-Max anchors were installed at Eni's Green Canyon 385 (Pegasus) location in June 2008 in approximately 3600' water depth.
All eight anchors were pre-deployed in a record 2 1/2 days in one vessel trip from the AHTS Alex Chouest and penetrated the seabed. The anchor lines were installed later and connected to Transocean's MODU Amirante using Delmar's patented subsea mooring connector to connect the preset polyester mooring lines to the rig's self-contained mooring components.
"This anchor technology offers great benefit in ease and speed of installation. Smaller in size as compared to traditional anchors, some AHVs can carry a full rig set, reducing the number of trips to and from the dock, saving valuable mobilization time," said Matt Smith, Delmar's VP of Operations.
The OMNI-Max is capable of being loaded in any direction 360 degrees around the axis of the anchor. Under extreme loading and uplift angle conditions, the anchor will penetrate deeper into the soil to gain the needed holding capacity. This technology is an industry first that may allow damaged moorings to survive longer in the event of multiple line failure since the load angle can change without the capacity of the foundation being adversely affected.
By providing a more efficient anchor and installation method, Eni can save valuable time to moor MODUS among valuable seabed infrastructure and increase their seasonal operating window," said Smith.
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Delmar Systems more info
- Delmar Completes Mooring Installation at WhoDat Field (Aug 19)
- Delmar Awarded Mooring Contract by Noble (Aug 03)
- Delmar Installs 'World's Heaviest' Tree Systems in the Gulf of Mexico (Dec 03)