Sasol, ENH Ink Rig,Towing Contracts for Mozambique Project
Sasol and Mozambican State Oil Company, Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos E.P. (ENH), have announced the finalization of drilling and towing contracts to pursue its hydrocarbon exploration project in offshore Mozambique. Drilling operations will start during the third quarter of 2008.
A lease agreement has been signed for a mobile offshore drilling unit with Transocean Offshore International Ventures. Two towing and anchor handling vessels to support the rig will be supplied by Varun Shipping Company. The rig and vessels are expected to arrive in Mozambique towards the end of August 2008.
"The drilling of explorations wells will take place in deepwater, well away from the shallow environmentally sensitive waters of the Bazaruto Archipelago. Safety and protection of the environment will be key to the drilling exploration program that is expected to be completed by year end," said Lean Strauss group general manager, Sasol International Energy Cluster.
Sasol Petroleum Sofala Limitada (SPS) and ENH are the concession holders of Blocks 16 and 19 offshore Mozambique. The exploration area covers about 11,000 square kilometers and is directly opposite Sasol's existing onshore gas operations at Pande and Temane.
"The drilling campaign is a further demonstration of our commitment to upstream development in Mozambique and the technical and commercial ability of Sasol to execute upstream exploration projects. We recently completed our seismic operation in the two blocks incident free and with no impact on the environment," said Strauss.
Should the drilling campaign be successful, Sasol intends to supply the natural gas to markets in Mozambique and South Africa.
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Sasol Limited more info
- Sasol Shifts Strategy, Evaluates Chemical Business Split (Nov 29)
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Sasol Tempers Return Expectations for $11 Billion Project (Aug 21)
Company: Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarrrbonetos de Mozambique more info
- Anadarko Strikes Again in Deepwater Mozambique (Mar 22)
- Cove Completes Offshore Mozambique Farm-in (Jan 05)
- Sasol Teams Up with Petronas for Exploration Offshore Mozambique (Nov 03)