Keppel Cinches $405MM Contract to Build Scorpion's Rig
Scorpion Offshore signed a contract with Keppel FELS Limited to construct its proprietary DSS 38 deepwater semisubmersible (semi) rig at Keppel’s shipyard in Singapore. Construction is expected to span 42 months with delivery in the 4th quarter of 2011 at an anticipated cost of approximately $700 million, including owner furnished equipment, commissioning, project management and financing costs.
The DSS 38 is rated to drill to depths of 30,000 feet below mud line in just over 9,000 feet water depth. With operational displacement of approximately 38,000 tonnes, the DSS 38 has housing facilities for a crew of up to 130 men. It has both vertical and horizontal riser storage. The eight 3000kW azimuth thrusters configuration are designed to keep the vessel in position. All configurations comply with the American Bureau of Shipping Dynamic Positioned System (DPS-2) requirements.
With the latest rig, Keppel FELS will be constructing three DSS 38 rigs including two units for Queiroz Galvao, three DSS 21 rigs for Maersk Contractors and one DSS 51 rig for Transocean. Designed by Keppel O&M’s Deepwater Technology Group and Marine Structures Consultants of the Netherlands, the first DSS series semisubmersible, Maersk Explorer, began operations in 2003.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Keppel FELS more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Floatel Triumph, Upcoming Work at Wheatstone Field (Sep 30)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Keppel FELS Delivers Jackup UMW Naga 8 to Malaysia's UMW Oil & Gas (Sep 02)
Company: Scorpion Offshore more info
- Seadrill's Mandatory Offer to Purchase All Scorpion Shares (Jul 15)
- Seadrill Increases Ownership in Scorpion Offshore (May 31)
- UPDATE: Ensco Ends Partial Offer for Scorpion Offshore (May 28)