RDS Secures 2 Contracts Worth US $4MM
RDS secures US$4 million worth of contracts when RDS and a division of the KCA DEUTAG Group, were awarded two significant contracts from clients in South East Asia.
Samsung Heavy Industries of Korea has awarded RDS a contract for the detailed design and engineering work of the drilling system and substructure of a Moss Maritime CS50M Mk II semi-submersible floating drilling rig, for the Russian oil and gas operator Gazflot. Work on this the contract has already commenced in Korea. The hull is being built at the Vyborg shipyard in Russia and SHI is building the topsides.
Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering of Korea has also awarded RDS a contract, this time for the conceptual engineering of the drilling mud and bulk systems of a drillship for TMT of Taiwan, with the capability to drill to 12,000 meters, operating in water depths down to 3,600m.
"We have experienced an unprecedented growth in demand for our services over the last 12 months, of which these contracts are among the latest," Malcolm Ward, General Manager of RDS, said. "As a result we now employ about 700 people in our offices in London, Aberdeen, Stavanger, Bergen (Norway) and Baku (Azerbaijan), which represents a 83% increase in our total workforce since 2005. Our forward order book is extremely healthy, to the extent that we anticipate the need for another 200 people by 2009/2010."
RDS is the Engineering Division of international drilling contractor KCA DEUTAG Drilling Group Ltd.
- Woodside Discovers Gas at Thalin-1A Well Offshore Myanmar (Feb 12)
- Deep-Sea Plan Fails, Leaving Korean Shipyards Struggling (Jul 27)
- Daewoo Names New Chief After Ex-CEO Quits Over Myanmar Gas Sale Spat (Jun 17)
Company: Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) more info
- Samsung Wins Mad Dog 2 Fabrication Contract (Jan 05)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
- South Korean Yards Restructure, Trim Workforce (Sep 08)