Noble Hits Pay Dirt in Equatorial Guinea
Noble Energy, Inc. announced flow test results from the Benita oil appraisal well in Block "I" offshore Equatorial Guinea. As previously announced, the 'I-5' well encountered approximately 42 feet (13 meters) of net oil pay, defined the water-oil contact, and moved the lowest known oil down structure approximately 28 feet (9 meters). Test results from this high-quality Miocene reservoir yielded flow rates of 6,250 barrels of oil per day and 5.4 million cubic feet per day of natural gas, with production rates limited by test equipment. Based on test information gathered, the Benita development wells are anticipated to produce approximately 10 thousand barrels of oil per day. Samples taken indicated a crude oil gravity of 30 degrees.
"We are very encouraged with the results from the Benita downdip oil appraisal," said Charles D. Davidson, Noble Energy's Chairman, President and CEO. "Flow tests have confirmed our initial expectations that Benita could produce at a rate of 50 thousand barrels of oil per day from just five wells. We are moving forward with the engineering and production studies to submit a plan of development by the end of the year, with hopes to sanction the project in 2009. Our target for first production from Benita remains 2012."
The Sedco 700 deepwater rig is preparing to drill the Diega prospect, an additional Miocene target approximately 5.5 miles north of Benita on Block "I". Diega, located in 2,165 feet (660 meters) of water with a proposed well depth of 10,500 feet (3200 meters), has a gross resource potential of between 20 and 80 million barrels of oil equivalent.
Noble Energy is the Technical Operator of Block "I" with a 40% participating interest. Its partners on the block include Atlas Petroleum International Limited (29% participating interest), who is the Administrative Operator, Glencore Exploration Ltd. (25% participating interest) and Osborne Resources Limited, a company within the PA Resources Group (6% participating interest). GEPetrol (the national oil company of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea) has a 5% carried interest once commerciality has been determined.
- Noble, Partners Test Positive at Diega Discovery (Aug 29)
- Atlas to Sidetrack REB3 Well Offshore Tunisia (Aug 19)
- Noble Successful at Diega Offshore Equatorial Guinea (Jul 15)
Company: Noble Energy more info
- Gulfport Names Noble Energy Executive As Operations Chief (Jan 03)
- US Shale Producers Promise both Higher Output and Returns (Nov 03)
- Fault at Israel's Tamar Gas Field Prompts Use of Dirtier Fuels (Sep 22)
Company: GEPetrol more info
- Gazprom Neft, GEPetrol Ink Cooperation Agreement (Jun 07)
- Noble Gets Go-Ahead for Aseng Oil Project in Equatorial Guinea (Jul 22)
- Equatorial Guinea's National Oil Co Inks PSC for Offshore Block EG-07 (Jul 22)
Company: Glencore Exploration Ltd. more info
- Victoria Oil & Gas to Acquire 75% Stake in Cameroon's Matanda PSC (Feb 18)
- Angola Requests Bids for 10 Onshore Oil Blocks (Jul 20)
- Atwood Aurora Lands Gig in Cameroon (Jul 09)
Company: PA Resources more info
- PA Resources Completes Divestment of North Sea Assets (Mar 24)
- PA Resources Welcomes New CEO (May 15)
- Noble Finds Oil at Carla South (May 02)