Eni JV Makes Deepwater Discovery at Stones in GOM
Eni has successfully drilled an exploration well on the Stones discovery, located in Walker Ridge block 508 approximately 325 kilometers (200 miles) off the Louisiana coast in a water depth of 2,300 meters (7,500 feet).
The Stones-3 exploration well, which was drilled 1.6 kilometers north of the Stones-1 discovery, reached a total depth of approximately 9,000 meters (29,400 feet) and encountered multiple oil-bearing sands. The well data will now be analyzed while future drilling activity is currently being planned to further define the size of the discovery.
Eni owns a 15% working interest in Stones. Shell (operator, 35%), Marathon (25%), and Petrobras (25%) are the other partners. The Stones unit (a 10-block area) was part of the exploration portfolio acquired by Eni in July 2007 from Dominion and has additional exploration opportunities.
The Stones discovery is located near other recent discoveries in deep reservoir sands such as St. Malo (in which Eni participates), Chinook and Cascade. Eni holds a considerable exploration portfolio in this area, with several new opportunities being matured for future drilling.
In the US, Eni currently owns lease interests in 408 GOM blocks, 70% of which are in deepwater. Eni is also one of the largest GOM producers with a daily equity production capacity in excess of 110,000 boe, of which 60% is operated. In addition, Eni also owns interests in 158 leases on the North Slope of Alaska.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)