Wan Machar-1 Exploration Well Reaches Total Depth
Lundin Petroleum AB (Lundin Petroleum) announces that well Wan Machar-1 has reached Total Depth at 1,466 meters. The well is located in the swamp area on the east flank of the southern Muglad Basin in Block 5B, Sudan.
Wan Machar-1 found the target Aradeiba and Bentiu sandstone reservoirs as planned, underlain by shales of the Abu Gabra formation, which constitutes the regional source rock. The well entered basement at 1,360 meters. Minor gas shows were encountered from 675 meters to Total Depth, but no oil shows were recorded. The acquisition of logs has been delayed due to technical problems with the rig. However it is expected that the logs will confirm the well as a dry hole and if so it will be plugged and abandoned.
The well is the second of a four well program scheduled for Block 5B in 2008. It was drilled using the Dietswell RCR 1200 rig in a swamp location in the north eastern part of the block. The next two wells are targeted at the eastern flank and central area of the basin, both in the swamp, and will be drilled using the same barge mounted drilling rig complex.
Initial indications are that the structure and reservoir conditions are favorable for hydrocarbons, but that the maturity of the source rock in the two drilled flank locations may be the reason for the lack of gas and oil shows. The results of the first two exploration wells will be analyzed to get a better understanding of the regional geology of the Southern Muglad Basin. The next well locations are both closer to the central part of the basin where it is anticipated that the source rock quality and maturity will improve.
The partners in Block 5B are Petronas Carigali White Nile (5B) Ltd ("Petronas") (39%), Lundin Petroleum (24.5%), ONGC Videsh Ltd (23.5%) and Sudapet Ltd (13%). Furthermore, the partnership has accepted the recommendation of the National Petroleum Commission to assign a 10 percent share to the National Oil Company of Southern Sudan to be allocated on a "pro rata" basis from each of the partners' shares. The operator of Block 5B is White Nile Petroleum Operating Company (WNPOC) a joint venture between Sudapet Ltd and Petronas.
Ashley Heppenstall, President and CEO of Lundin Petroleum, commented: "The drilling results to date are disappointing. However, the wells provide important data that will allow us to develop our understanding of this part of the basin. Block 5B is very large area covering 20,000 km2, being in excess of 120 blocks in the UK North Sea. It remains essentially unexplored other than for the two recent exploration wells."
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Output At Lundin's Grieg Field Back To Normal After Forties Outage (Dec 27)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
Company: ONGC Videsh more info
- India's ONGC Videsh to Spend Over $3 Billion on Iran Gas Block (Apr 04)
- India Clears ONGC's Extra 11% Stake Buy in Russia's Vankor Fields (Oct 05)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)
Company: Sudapet more info
- Sudan, South Sudan Start Talks Over Former National Oil Company Assets (Apr 29)
- Vietnam Targets Oil and Gas Exploration in Sudan (Feb 12)
- Sudan Seeks Foreign Blocks, Plans to Double Oil Ouput by 2015 (Jun 02)
Company: White Nile more info
- Sudan's White Nile Petroleum Finds Dry Gas in Block 8 (Jun 01)
- White Nile Proposes to Change Company Name, Investing Strategy (Dec 05)
- White Nile to Acquire Energy Africa Ltd, Nigerian Oil Projects (May 19)