Schlumberger Intros Multiphase Flowmetering for Heavy Oil Production
Schlumberger announced today the first ever application of multiphase flowmetering technology for steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) wells.
"Multiphase flow measurement is a new service for heavy oil and bitumen SAGD production," said Dr. Bruno Pinguet, multiphase domain champion, Schlumberger. "Extreme operating conditions such as high temperatures, unpredictable emulsion properties and a fourth phase steam have, until now, meant this type of flow monitoring was not possible with conventional technology in thermal heavy oil operations."
The multiphase flowmeter uses Vx technology to measure the flowrate of each phase from the wellhead without the need for time-consuming separation tests. Vx technology is available in the Schlumberger PhaseTester portable multiphase well testing equipment or PhaseWatcher fixed multiphase well production monitoring equipment. The technology enables better understanding of the production dynamics of SAGD wells operated with high-temperature electric submersible pumps (ESP).
SAGD wells represent a new application extension for the field-proven Vx technology. As Schlumberger develops new services for heavy oil production, this test marks the first-ever multiphase metering operation in SAGD applications, and demonstrates the production optimization potential of this technology for more viscous oils. The test was completed at the site of a Canadian operator, Suncor Energy, in Alberta, Canada.
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
- Top Oilfield Services Firms Signal Fourth-Quarter Uncertainty (Oct 20)
Company: Suncor Energy more info
- Suncor Says Makes Progress In Oil Sands Project Dispute With Total (Oct 26)
- Canadian Oil's High-Priced Run Set to End as Supply Surges (Oct 11)
- Suncor, Total Argue Over Cost Of Fort Hills Project (Jul 27)