Tap Oil Spuds Crackling South-1 Well
Tap Oil reports that the Crackling South-1 exploration well in EP 341 offshore Australia spudded this week. The well is being drilled by the Ensco 53 and is expected to take three days to reach total depth of 487 meters measured depth.
The Crackling South exploration well is a follow up to oil shows intersected in an adjacent well, Crackling-1, over a 22 meter interval within lower Cretaceous glauconitic sandstones, situated 1 km to the northeast. This well which was drilled in 1993, was not tested at that time to determine if moveable hydrocarbons were present. However, advances in production technology since then, in particularly horizontal drilling, have enabled apparently similar reservoirs to be successfully developed elsewhere within the Carnarvon Basin.
|Click thumbnail to enlarge|
|Buy the Australasia Wallmap|
The target horizon in Crackling South-1 comprises lower Cretaceous Mardie Greensand at a depth of approximately 350 meters. Although the Mardie Greensand generally has good porosity, it has low permeability due to the presence of glauconite clay. The prospect has the potential to contain a mean volume of 30 million barrels of recoverable oil. Joint venture participants are Tap as operator with 50%; Apache Energy with 22.5%; West Oil with 22.5% and Strike Oil with 5%.
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Ancala Acquires Apache's Two North Sea Gas Pipeline Assets (Nov 20)
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
Company: ENSCO International Incorporated more info
Manages 64 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Tap Oil more info
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Quadrant Fails to Find Hydrocarbons at Driftwood-1 Well in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 16)
- Quadrant Spuds Driftwood-1 Well in Permit WA-320-P in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 02)