BP Makes Discovery on Kodiak Prospect
BP America has made an oil discovery at its Kodiak prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The well, located in Mississippi Canyon block 771 approximately 60 miles (95 kilometers) southeast of the Louisiana Coast, is in about 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) of water. The Kodiak well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 31,150 feet (9,494 meters) and encountered about 500 net feet (152 meters) of hydrocarbon-bearing sands in Middle and Lower Miocene reservoirs. The well was deviated with a horizontal step-out of 7,400 feet (2,250 meters). The well was drilled using Transocean's Deepwater Horizon semisub. Further appraisal will be required to determine the size and commerciality of the discovery.
This discovery, in the vicinity of our 2003 Tubular Bells discovery, further strengthens BP's resource base in the Gulf of Mexico and has the potential to become an important new source of production for the USA," said Andy Inglis, Chief Executive, Exploration and Production.
The well is operated by BP Exploration & Production Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of BP America Inc., with a 63.75 percent working interest, and includes co-owners Eni with a 25 percent working interest, and Marubeni Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. with an 11.25 percent working interest. The lease was acquired at federal OCS Lease Sale 182 in March 2002.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
- MODEC Secures Japanese Partners in Petrobras FPSO Project (Apr 14)