ONGC, Hinduja Prepared to Invest Billions in Iran Oil and Gas Fields
India's Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and the Hinduja Group are in discussions with Iran for the signing of a mid-April contract that would pump billions of dollars into Iran's South Pars gas field and the south Azadegan oil field, ONGC chairman and Managing Director RS Sharma told reporters Wednesday.
Though there is no definitive agreement, the "participating agreement" would involve ONGC Videsh and Hinduja in the development of phase 12 of the South Pars, as well as field development of the Azadegan oil patch.
"A lot of ground has to be covered before reaching a stage of signing a definitive agreement," Sharma told reporters.
Azadegan is the largest oil field in Iran after its 1999 discovery.
China and India have been on the hunt for opportunities to exploit the country with the world's second-largest oil and gas reserves. This week, China said it would be willing to step in and pick up any slack left by India in the $7.4 billion Iran-Pakistan pipeline deal if India backs out.
In December 2007, Sinopec signed a deal with Iran to develop the Yadavaran oil field.
We want to hear from you. Questions, opinions and suggestions are all welcomed by the Rigzone Staff. Write us at email@example.com .
Operates 42 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- ONGC Is Said to Plan $4.8 Billion Indian Oil, GAIL Stake Sale (Feb 07)
- India's ONGC Raises $2.38B From Banks To Buy Refinery Stake (Jan 23)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
Company: Sinopec more info
- Lead a Chinese Oil Giant and Get a Fraction of Your Peers' Pay (Dec 27)
- Report: Quarter Of Oil Refineries Risk Closure Under Climate Goals (Nov 02)
- Sources: China's Sinopec Mulls US Oil Projects Ahead Of Trump's Visit (Oct 31)
Company: ONGC Videsh more info
- India's ONGC Videsh to Spend Over $3 Billion on Iran Gas Block (Apr 04)
- India Clears ONGC's Extra 11% Stake Buy in Russia's Vankor Fields (Oct 05)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)