ExxonMobil Subsidiary Awarded 2 Addtl Licenses Offshore Ireland
Exxon Mobil Corporation confirmed its subsidiary, ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Ireland (Offshore) Limited, along with Providence Resources P.l.c. (Providence) and Sosina Exploration Limited (Sosina), has been awarded two additional licenses in the Porcupine Basin offshore Ireland. The Irish Government's Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources announced the results of their 2007 Irish Frontier Licensing Round earlier this week.
The licenses are located in water depths exceeding 6,500 feet, and together comprise 13 blocks and an area totalling 760,000 acres. A number of potential leads have been identified across the two licenses including a prospect known as Drombeg.
The new awards bring ExxonMobil's Porcupine Basin interests to 18 exploration blocks plus an option for an additional 15 blocks, giving the company and its coventurers an expanded exploration position in the basin. ExxonMobil has been awarded operatorship of the two new license areas and will apply its global leadership geoscience and deepwater drilling capability to these Irish operations.
Commenting on the award Tim Cejka, president of ExxonMobil Exploration Company, said, "We are delighted to add this new Porcupine Basin acreage to ExxonMobil's large and geographically diverse global resource base which includes assets in many key established areas as well as in new and emerging basins. This expanded position will allow us to evaluate a wider range of opportunities in this unexplored basin."
ExxonMobil is finalizing plans to conduct seismic surveys on the new acreage in the Porcupine Basin in the near future.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Providence Resources PLC more info
- Providence Expects to Drill Druid Prospect in Summer 2017 (Sep 15)
- Newgrange Prospect Could Hold 13.6 Tcf of Gas (Jul 12)
- Providence Offered LO 16/27 Offshore Ireland (Jun 23)
Company: Sosina Exploration more info
- 3D Seismic Survey Begins at Spanish Point South (Aug 14)
- Seismic Program About to Start Offshore SW Ireland (Aug 07)
- Seismic Survey over Ireland's Drombeg Prospect Begins (Jun 30)