Chukchi Sea Lease Sale Draws Record Bids
The U.S. Department of the Interior Minerals Management Service (MMS) held the Federal Chukchi Sea Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Sale 193 on the morning of February 6, 2008, in Anchorage, Alaska.
According to the Anchorage Daily News, the MMS received 667 bids for the Chukchi Sea OCS Sale, a record for the area. With big producers such as Shell, Conoco Phillips and Repsol E&P, the bidding attracted from $200 million to $300 million in the first hour.
The sales consisted of 5,355 blocks covering 29.4 million acres offshore Alaska between Point Barrow and Cape Lisburne. Situated 25 to 50 miles offshore, the sale area ranges in water depth from 95 to 9,800 feet.
Despite the government's attempt to ensure a minimal impact on the environment by enacting protective measures, the lease sale attracted the attention of lawmakers in Washington D.C. Senator John Kerry introduced legislation in January 2008 attempting to halt the lease sale until the Interior Department deemed the polar bear an endangered species or not.
Experts estimate the area to hold 15 billion barrels of recoverable oil and 77 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. This is the first lease sale in the Chukchi Sea in 17 years.
We want to hear from you. Questions, opinions and suggestions are all welcomed by the Rigzone Staff. Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: Shell more info
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)
- ConocoPhillips Strikes First Oil at New Alaska Site (Oct 10)
- ConocoPhillips to Divest Timor Sea Acreage (Oct 01)
Company: Repsol more info
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
- Repsol Asks Vietnam For Compensation After Drilling Project Halted (May 04)