Chukchi Sea Lease Sale Draws Record Bids
The U.S. Department of the Interior Minerals Management Service (MMS) held the Federal Chukchi Sea Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Sale 193 on the morning of February 6, 2008, in Anchorage, Alaska.
According to the Anchorage Daily News, the MMS received 667 bids for the Chukchi Sea OCS Sale, a record for the area. With big producers such as Shell, Conoco Phillips and Repsol E&P, the bidding attracted from $200 million to $300 million in the first hour.
The sales consisted of 5,355 blocks covering 29.4 million acres offshore Alaska between Point Barrow and Cape Lisburne. Situated 25 to 50 miles offshore, the sale area ranges in water depth from 95 to 9,800 feet.
Despite the government's attempt to ensure a minimal impact on the environment by enacting protective measures, the lease sale attracted the attention of lawmakers in Washington D.C. Senator John Kerry introduced legislation in January 2008 attempting to halt the lease sale until the Interior Department deemed the polar bear an endangered species or not.
Experts estimate the area to hold 15 billion barrels of recoverable oil and 77 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. This is the first lease sale in the Chukchi Sea in 17 years.
We want to hear from you. Questions, opinions and suggestions are all welcomed by the Rigzone Staff. Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)