Faroe Snaps Up 14% of E&P License, Marsvin Prospect
Faroe Petroleum has agreed to acquire a 14% interest in Norwegian License PL289 from Gaz de France Norge on a promoted basis. PL289 contains the substantial Marsvin prospect which is scheduled to be drilled in April 2008. The License is located on the border with Denmark and in close proximity to PL147, in which Faroe recently acquired a 10% interest from Shell and which contains the undeveloped Trym gas / condensate field. As well as the Marsvin oil prospect, the license contains two further attractive prospects, located close to the Trym field (Faroe 10%).
Marsvin Oil Prospect (Faroe 14%) Drilling April 2008
Marsvin is a substantial Upper Jurassic oil prospect, located on the south west flank of the Sogne Graben, straddling the border between Norway and Denmark. The joint venture partners in this license are DONG (40% and operator), Talisman (30%) and Gaz de France (16% retained interest).
The Marsvin prospect will be drilled in Norway in license PL289 by the experienced Operator DONG using the Maersk Guardian jackup rig. Water depths are shallow, around 65 meters. The well is expected to spud in early April 2008 and the drilling operation will take around 60 days.
The transaction is in line with the Company's stated strategic objectives of building a portfolio of valuable licenses in Norway and participating in high impact exploration wells, and is subject to the consent of Norwegian Authorities and all joint venture parties.
"We are very pleased with this transaction which follows a series of important asset additions announced before Christmas, and adds a further exciting near-term well to our already active drilling program," Graham Stewart, chief executive of Faroe Petroleum, said. "This brings to 11 the number of assets in our Norwegian portfolio, continuing our rapid growth in this high potential area."
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Gaz de France more info
- Grenland Group Delivers Gjoa Subsea Structures (Sep 01)
- Plexus to Supply Wellhead Systems for Mediterranean E&P Activities (Jul 20)
- ELNG Completes First Ever Health & Safety Partnership Program with GE O&G (Jul 15)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)