First Subsea Drives Deepwater Connector Innovation
The UK's leading supplier of subsea connection systems, BSW Ltd, is now called First Subsea Ltd, reflecting the company's growing role as an innovator in subsea connection and mooring systems for deepwater platforms, FPSOs, subsea field buoy, pipeline and turret architectures and marine energy.
The first company to develop and deploy ball and taper-based mooring technology, First Subsea's Ballgrab connector has been used in over 200 subsea mooring installations worldwide. As demand for flexible connection and tethering devices has increased, the company has led the field with the development of innovative solutions. Ballgrabs were used on the first polymer rope mooring system to tether a drilling platform in 6,000 feet water depth, the BP Ocean Confidence program.
The first Ballgrab with an integrated camera has been developed for use in FPSO and STP buoy production operations, providing easy retrieval of the buoys without ROVs. The first ball and taper, diverless bend stiffener connector, was developed in collaboration with Trelleborg Offshore, using a Ballgrab male connector to support umbilicals and cabling in existing risers. Recently a Ballgrab connector allowed the first use of a disconnect-able driven pile subsea mooring system for a mid-water arch, creating more flexible deepwater production facilities and subsea architectures.
General Manager Brian Green points to the increasing sophistication of the subsea connector market as a key factor behind the announcement of 'First Subsea.' "Connector and mooring systems are evolving. Getting the fundamentals right of delivering a reliable and easy to install connector and mooring system is just the starting point. Now it's how the connector can take a more active role in production operations. First Subsea marks the coming-of-age of the Ballgrab connector. Our aim is to continue to lead the subsea connector and mooring markets through innovation underpinned by a commitment to quality management at every level from design to commissioning," he said.
First Subsea connection systems are currently used for buoy moorings to FPSOs and deep water SPAR buoys diver-less bend stiffener connectors, pipeline recovery tools, and production risers including SCRs. New markets include marine energy moorings and handling solutions for wind, wave and tidal devices.
Designed and tested in accordance with certifying authority standards, Ballgrabs are available in a range of sizes up to 2,500mT MBL. Recent projects include BP's Mad Dog SPAR, Ocean Confidence Drilling Program and Thunder Horse PLET Tie-back systems, ExxonMobil's Erha and Kizomba Drilling programs, Kerr McGee's Constitution, Gunnison and Red Hawk SPARs, Murphy's Kikeh and Thunder Hawk projects, Total's Dalia and Akpo projects, Nexen U.K.'s Ettrick and Shell's Perdido development.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: Kerr-McGee Corp. more info
- Synergy Resources Approved as O&G Operator in Colorado (May 13)
- Anardarko Is Winner in U.S. Royalty Case (Jan 13)
- U.S. Official Estimates $31B At Stake in Kerr-McGee Case (Feb 26)
Company: Nexen, Inc. more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)