BP Goes Deep and Scores Again Offshore Angola
Sociedade Nacional de Combustiveis de Angola (Sonangol EP) and BP Exploration (Angola) Limited announced the Portia oil discovery in ultra-deepwater Block 31, offshore Angola.
Portia is the fifteenth discovery that BP has drilled in Block 31. The well is located approximately 7 kilometers to the north of the Titania discovery and 10.5 km southwest of the Pluto field. GSF Explorer was used for the operations.
Portia was drilled in a water depth of 2,012 meters, some 386 km northwest of Luanda and reached a total depth of 5,678 meters TVD below sea level. This is the fourth discovery in Block 31 where the exploration well has been drilled through salt to access the oil bearing sandstone reservoir beneath.
The well test results confirmed the capacity of the reservoir to flow in excess of 5,000 barrels per day under production conditions.
Sonangol is the concessionaire of Block 31. BP Exploration (Angola) Limited as Operator holds 26.67 percent. The other interest owners in Block 31 are Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Block 31) Limited (25 percent), Sonangol EP (20 percent), Statoil Angola A.S. (13.33 percent), Marathon International Petroleum Angola Block 31 Limited (10 percent) and TEPA (BLOCK 31) LIMITED, (a subsidiary of the Total Group) with 5 percent.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)