Origin Energy's Kupe Drilling Half Complete
Drilling of the three production wells at the Kupe gas condensate project offshore southern Taranaki in PML 38146 is making good progress with each well reaching over halfway.
Operator Origin Energy says the ENSCO 107 jackup drilling rig is batch drilling the wells as it is more efficient than drilling each well separately to its full depth.
The top 22 inch wide section of all three wells has been completed to 560 meters while the 17 inch section of the KS-6 and KS-7 wells have been drilled to the scheduled 2,000 meter depth.
The latest well KS-8 had reached a depth of 1809 meters MDRT (measured depth from rotary table). Drilling of the 17 inch section will continue to the planned depth of 2,200 meters at which point the 13-3/8 inch casing will be run and cemented.
Upon completion, the 12-1/4 inch section of KS-8 will be drilled and cased. This will be followed by drilling of the 12-1/4 inch sections of KS-7 and KS-6.
The lowest 8-1/2 inch well sections will be drilled in the three wells to a vertical depth of approximately 3,400 m.
Drilling of the production wells, which began on Dec. 19, 2007, is expected to take around five months to complete.
The Kupe project is approximately 30 kilometers off the coast. The project is expected to be completed by mid-2009 and produce approximately 254 petajoules of natural gas, 1.1 million ton of LPG and 14.7 million barrels of light oil (condensate).
Interest holders in Kupe are Origin Energy 50%, Genesis Energy 31%, New Zealand Oil & Gas 15%, Mitsui E&P Australia 4%.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Genesis Energy more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- Genesis Buys Enterprise Offshore Pipelines for $1.5 Billion (Jul 16)