Keppel FELS Completes Construction on Al-Zubarah Jackup
Keppel FELS Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Keppel Offshore & Marine Limited, has completed the construction of its second jackup drilling rig for Gulf Drilling International Ltd, a joint venture between Qatar Petroleum and Japan Drilling Co., Ltd.
At a ceremony on Jan. 26, 2008, the rig was named Al-Zubarah, after one of Qatar's very important economic centers, by Mohammad Al-Shirrawi, Chairman of the Board of Directors of GDI.
Built to Keppel's proprietary KFELS B Class design, the rig has been customized to GDI's requirements for drilling in the Arabian Gulf. Al-Zubarah is capable of operating in water depths of up to 300 feet, drilling 30,000 feet deep and accommodating up to 110 men.
Mr Choo Chiau Beng, Chairman and CEO of Keppel O&M, said, "With the addition of Al-Zubarah to its fleet, GDI is a step closer to realize its vision of becoming a world-class drilling services provider. Keppel FELS is honored to play an important role in helping GDI, and Qatar, to achieve its aim."
Al-Zubarah is the second KFELS B Class jackup that Keppel FELS has completed for GDI. The first rig, Al-Khor, is successfully operating offshore Qatar in the Arabian Gulf.
- Keppel FELS Delivers Floatel Triumph, Upcoming Work at Wheatstone Field (Sep 30)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Keppel FELS Delivers Jackup UMW Naga 8 to Malaysia's UMW Oil & Gas (Sep 02)
Company: Japan Drilling more info
Manages 9 Offshore Rigs
- Rosneft Makes Discovery at Wild Orchid Gas Condensate Field Off Vietnam (Aug 12)
- India-Led Joint Expedition Finds Large Gas Hydrate Deposit in Bay of Bengal (Jul 26)
- Rosneft Spuds PLDD-1X Well in Vietnam's Nam Con Son Basin with Hakuryu-5 (Mar 09)
Company: Qatar Petroleum more info
- Qatar Petroleum Renews Shared Oilfield Concession Agreement with UAE (Mar 13)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- Qatar Says It's Fulfilling Oil and Gas Deals Despite Gulf Crisis (Sep 13)
Company: Gulf Drilling International more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Newbuild Jackup Halul to Gulf Drilling International (Jan 26)
- Keppel O&M Posts 4Q 2015 Net Loss of $42.5M, Updates on Brazil Contracts (Jan 22)
- Gulf International Drilling's Contracts Hit by Low Oil Prices (Apr 13)