Keppel to Build Bully 2 Drillship, Contract Worth $101M
Keppel Shipyard Ltd. has been awarded a contract valued at about $101 million for the integration and completion of a new build "Bully" drillship. Keppel secured the contract with a company jointly owned by Frontier Drilling and Shell.
This is the second drillship of the "Bully" rig design awarded to Keppel by the same owners. The first "Bully" drillship was awarded in June 2007 with delivery by fourth quarter 2009.
The new hull will be built in China and is due to arrive at Keppel in the first quarter of 2009. The drillship is expected to be delivered by the second quarter of 2010.
"Owners continue to see value and viability in using Keppel to carry out the complex integration and completion of drillships and FPSOs utilising hulls built elsewhere," said Nelson Yeo, Keppel's executive director.
"We thank Frontier and Shell for their trust and confidence in Keppel Shipyard in awarding us the integration and completion phase of their first and now their second newbuild drillship, the Bully 2," Yeo said.
The "Bully" drillships are designed to conduct surface BOP (Blow-out Preventer) drilling operations in water depths of up to 12,000 ft and sub-sea BOP operations in water depths of up to 8,250 ft as equipped (up to 10,000 ft capability). The total drilling depth below the drill floor is 40,000 ft. The drillships will also be equipped with ice-class hulls and fitted with Dynamic Positioning (DP-2) capabilities.
Keppel's work scope for the Bully 2 includes installation, integration and completion of the owner supplied power generation, thrusters and drilling equipment packages on a new hull.
In addition to the Bully drillship contracts with Frontier and Shell, Keppel is currently working on the refurbishment and upgrading of drillship "Frontier Phoenix" (ex – Peregrine II) for Frontier due for delivery in the third quarter 2008.
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
Company: Frontier Drilling ASA more info
- Noble Expands, Enhances Global Fleet with Frontier Acquisition (Jun 28)
- Shell Continues Evacuations from Western Gulf of Mexico Operations (Jun 28)
- Noble Nourishing Relationship With Shell (Jun 28)
Company: Keppel Offshore & Marine Limited more info
- FPSO Armada Kraken on Track for North Sea Deployment (Aug 29)
- Bumi Armada's LNG FSU Leaving Singapore Soon to Work for EletroGas Malta (Aug 11)
- McDermott, N-KOM Signs MOU to Jointly Pursue EPCI Projects Offshore Qatar (Jul 27)