GE Energy Finances Drillship Deal
In its first equity investment in offshore drilling, GE Energy Financial Services, a unit of GE, will invest $54 million and co-finance the acquisition of a deepwater drillship working off the coast of Brazil.
An affiliate of GE Energy Financial Services, GE Capital Markets, is a Mandated Lead Arranger for $259 million in senior debt facilities along with WestLB AG, New York Branch, which serves as the Agent and other mandated Lead Arranger. GE Transportation Finance joined with GE Energy Financial Services in underwriting the debt.
These funds facilitate Mike Mullen Energy Equipment Resource Inc.'s acquisition of Peregrine I, a deepwater drillship under contract with Petrobras from a subsidiary of Transocean. The Peregrine I is drilling in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brazil.
"By delivering comprehensive and integrated equity and debt solutions, GE Energy Financial Services and GE Transportation Finance demonstrated their creative approach to complex deals. In addition, we added a chapter in our Latin America expansion story in an area of key importance for us, Petrobras and Brazil," said Dan Castagnola, a Managing Director at GE Energy Financial Services in Houston.
The Peregrine I is rated to drill in 5,200 feet of water to a depth of 25,000 feet. A subsidiary of Etesco Construcoes E Comercio Ltda, an experienced Brazilian offshore rig operator, will operate the vessel under a contract with Petrobras. Mike Mullen Energy Equipment Resources, a Dallas-based offshore assets investor, and Pareto World Wide Offshore, a Norwegian private equity fund, are also investors in the Peregrine I.
"GE Energy Financial Services' track record as an investor in Latin America, its knowledge of the offshore industry and its ability to complete a complex debt and equity deal in a tight timeframe have spelled success," said Mike Mullen, CEO of Mike Mullen Energy Equipment Resources.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Offshore Oil Recovery Beginning in World's Harshest Environments (Feb 21)
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
Company: GE Energy more info
- Rosneft Reveals New Alliance with GE (Jun 21)
- Trap Oil Agrees Debt Deal to Fund North Sea Assets (Jan 30)
- AGT: Australia's LNG Industry Lacks Engineers Over 5-Year Period (Jul 25)
Company: Mike Mullen Energy Equipment Resources more info
- Ocean Tower Sale Closes; Rig Renamed (Oct 26)
- Deepwater Oil Finds Spur NYK to Invest in New Vessels (Sep 10)
- MMEER to Move Dixie Patriot Out of US Gulf (Aug 24)