Global to Dismantle Drill Rig Involved in Accident Offshore Tabasco
Global Industries has been awarded additional work amounting to about U.S. $40 million by PEMEX, the national oil company of Mexico. The newest work will involve the dismantling of the Usamacinta which was involved in an accident on Oct. 23, 2007.
Global's Titan 2, which was nearby completing work on the Ixtal Project, was immediately dispatched to the scene of the accident to assist in the rescue efforts. Now that those efforts are complete, PEMEX has chosen Global to conduct the decommissioning and dismantling of the drill rig and Kab 101 platform. This work should take approximately 60 days.
"Assisting in the rescue effort was something we would do without hesitation," said B. K. Chin, Chairman and CEO of Global Industries. "We were just thankful that the Titan 2 was close by and could respond as quickly as it did."
Since the Titan 2 had to suspend operations working on the Ixtal Project, PEMEX requested that another Global vessel, the Shawnee, be dispatched to the Bay of Campeche to complete the Ixtal work, which should also take approximately 60 days. The Shawnee mobilized immediately and is currently en route to the project.
The Ixtal Pipeline Project includes the trenching, installation, subsea interconnection, and precomissioning of a 24" X 6 km segment of pipeline in PEMEX's Ixtal Field, offshore Dos Bocas, Tabasco.
"We appreciate the confidence that PEMEX has placed in Global and our ability to be a solutions provider for many different situations," Chin continued. "The combination of the decommissioning and dismantling and the pipeline related work shows how diverse Global is, and how we dedicate whatever resources are necessary to get the job done."
- Global Industries Scores 'Who Dat' Project Development in GOM (Mar 23)
- Global Industries Secures Multiple McMoRan Decommissioning Projects in GOM (Mar 07)
- Pemex Awards $125MM for Pipeline Work in GOM (Jun 01)
Company: Pemex more info
Operates 45 Offshore Rigs
- Mexico Says Deepwater Oil Tender Doomed By Brazil Competition (Dec 08)
- Sources: Mexico's Pemex Declares Force Majeure On Isthmus Crude Oil (Nov 29)
- Mexico's Pemex Makes Biggest Onshore Oil Find in 15 Years - President (Nov 03)
Company: Global Offshore Oil Exploration more info
- Global to Dismantle Drill Rig Involved in Accident Offshore Tabasco (Dec 14)
- Global Industries Inks Multi-Year Contract from Chevron Nigeria (Nov 05)
- Petroleum Agency SA Awards TCA to Global Offshore Oil (Aug 05)