Shell & Oxy on Short List for $10B Abu Dhabi Sour Gas Project
ABU DHABI Dec 05, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA.LN) and Los Angeles-based Occidental Petroleum Corp. (OXY) are the final contenders for a $10-billion project to develop sour gas reserves in Abu Dhabi, o be awarded within two weeks, people familiar with the project said Wednesday.
The pair make the final shortlist of bidders drawn up by Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADO.YY), or Adnoc, people familiar with the situation told Dow Jones Newswires.
Adnoc, which produces almost all the oil in the United Arab Emirates, was expected to award the country's largest-ever non-associated gas development some time this month.
The successful bidder for the contract will enter into a joint venture with Adnoc to help it develop Abu Dhabi's Shah field, which contains large reserves of very high-sulfur and corrosive gas.
Sour gas is more costly and challenging to process because its corrosive nature requires special handling and infrastructure.
Shell and Occidental are left in the race after Adnoc left Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) and ConocoPhillips (COP) off the final shortlist.
Abu Dhabi last year decided to move ahead with the development of its sour resources gas as high oil prices have made the project commercially viable.
The estimated $10 billion program is crucial to meet fast-rising gas requirements in the U.A.E., driven by a rapidly growing population, the addition of new gas-fired power and desalination plants, and the development of new industries with high gas requirements, such as aluminum and petrochemicals.
Abu Dhabi has more than 200 trillion cubic feet of gas reserves, the fifth largest in the world, a large portion of which are sour.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
Company: Occidental Petroleum more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
- Occidental 3Q Profit Beats Forecasts On Rising Oil Prices (Nov 01)
- HOW COOL IS THAT! Young West Texas Plant Manager (Oct 24)
Company: Abu Dhabi National Oil Company more info
- UAE's ADNOC Proposes Change To Oil Price Mechanism (Dec 11)
- Nikkei: ADNOC To Decide On Japan Oil Concession Renewal By Early Next Year (Jul 28)
- UAE Pledges Further Oil Output Cuts Starting in September (Jul 25)