Petrobras Reports Drillship Fire; Seven Injured
Petrobras reports that at 22:40 hours on November 28th a gas leak occurred during well re-entry operations while the drillship, Noble Roger Eason, was working on the Marlim Leste field. The Marlim Leste field is located in the Campos Basin approximately 120 kilometers off the coast of Brazil. Seven people on board the rig were injured in the fire, however, none of the injuries are life threatening. First aid for the victims was provided by the doctor on board the rig. The injured have been airlifted to hospitals in Rio de Janeiro and Macae.
As soon as the fire began, Petrobras' emergency plan was implemented and then fire was extinguished. Investigators have been dispatched to the rig to carry out environmental and safety inspections. The well is in stable condition at this time. The National Petroleum Agency (ANP) and the Brazilian Port Authority have been notified of the incident.
Petrobras along with Noble Drilling have set up a commission to investigate the cause of the incident and provide assistance to the families of the victims.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Noble Corporation more info
Manages 28 Offshore Rigs
- Sembcorp Marine Delivers World's Largest Jackup Noble Lloyd Noble (Jul 18)
- Oil Industry Maintains Country Club Culture During Downturn (May 23)
- Freeport to Pay Noble $540 Million to Not Use 2 Oil Rigs (May 10)