Chile Awards Oil, Gas E&P Contracts
LONDON Nov 15, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
The Chilean mining ministry awarded nine oil and gas exploration and production contracts that will require a minimum $267 million investment, Mining Minister Karen Poniachik said Thursday.
Among the winning bidders were France's Total SA (TOT); Apache Canada Ltd., a unit of Apache Corp. (APA); Panamerican Energy LLC and Greymouth Petroleum Holding Ltd.
The government tendered 10 blocks, but one didn't receive any bids, Poniachik said. She didn't rule out launching a new tender for that block.
Greymouth, a New Zealand company, won four blocks, one of which will be jointly explored and developed with Chilean state oil and gas company Empresa Nacional del Petroleo, or Enap.
Apache won two blocks, one of which will be jointly explored and developed with Enap. Panamerican Energy and Total each won a block, and the ninth block was awarded to a consortium made up of International Petroleum Resources - a small company operating in Egypt - and Manas Petroleum Corp. (MNAP), according to the ministry.
The final contracts will be signed in the next few months, and companies have a six-month period to start exploring once the contracts are inked, Poniachik said.
The government is considering tendering other areas in the country, she said, "as at current international prices, projects that weren't attractive before are now interesting."
The tender for the oil and gas blocks is part of the government's effort to diversify its energy sources after Argentina reduced its natural gas exports to Chile in 2004.
The nine blocks tendered are located in the southernmost Magallanes region.
Chile currently imports 98% of its crude oil, 96% of its coal and 75% of its natural gas. Argentina is Chile's sole natural gas supplier.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Ancala Acquires Apache's Two North Sea Gas Pipeline Assets (Nov 20)
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
Company: Greymouth Petroleum Ltd. more info
- Greymouth Petroleum Touts Significant Gas Find in Chile (Apr 06)
- Greymouth Wins Mining Permit for NZ's Moturoa Oil Field (Dec 22)
- Greymouth: Kowhai Gas Field to Come Onstream Onshore NZ (Dec 03)
Company: Enap more info
- Sea Trucks Bags Pipelay Construction Deal in Magallanes Field Off Argentina (Jul 05)
- Argentina's YPF, Chile's ENAP Agree Extra $200M for Offshore Gas Project (Nov 17)
- ENAP: Chile Eyes Use Of US Shale Gas In Early 2016 (Jul 15)