Canadian Superior Recovers the Kan Tan IV's BOP
Canadian Superior says that over the weekend the Kan Tan IV drilling rig's BOP has been recovered from the seafloor (approximately 800 feet subsea) for repair and retesting.
Recovery and repair operations on the BOP had been delayed temporarily due to high seasonal ocean currents common offshore Trinidad at this time of year. These strong ring or loop ocean currents, experienced by all operators in the area, have now moved north of the "Victory" well site and subsided to the extent that the BOP was safely recovered to the rig floor. Currently the BOP is being repaired on the Kan Tan IV drilling rig.
Prior to the BOP requiring repair, the Victory well had been sidetracked, drilled, logged, cased (9-7/8") and cemented to a depth of approximately 13,828 feet subsea. Once the BOP is repaired, retested and re-installed on the seafloor, the drilling of the final portion of the well, the 8-1/2" hole section, to a total depth of approximately 16,000 feet will recommence. Normal operations are expected to recommence in the coming days and further updates on the well will be provided in due course.
Canadian Superior's joint venture partners in the Intrepid Block 5(c) Project are BG International Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the BG Group and Challenger Energy Corp. The Kan Tan IV semi-submersible drilling rig drilling the wells is operated by Maersk Contractors and owned by SINOPEC.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Canadian Superior Energy more info
- Canadian Superior Energy Notes Operational Updates (Jun 03)
- Canadian Superior Energy Posts 1Q10 Results (May 13)
- Canadian Superior Energy Waves Goodbye to COO (May 05)
Company: Challenger Energy Corp. more info
- INSIGHT - Water, Wealth and Whites - S.Africa's Potent Anti-Fracking Mix (Oct 28)
- Canadian Superior Clarifies Status of Challenger Warrants (Sep 25)
- Canadian Superior, Challenger Enter into Business Combination (Jun 19)