Rig Arrives for Kupe Drilling Program
Kupe Gas and Condensate project has reached a major milestone in offshore operations with the arrival of the New Plymouth drilling rig. The Ensco 107 offshore drilling rig has been transported to New Zealand from Singapore on the heavy lift vessel, the Willift Falcon.
The rig will go past Port Taranaki for customs and immigration clearance before unloading in Admiralty Bay. It will then be towed out to the Kupe field.
The first task of the Ensco 107 is to install the wellhead platform jacket – effectively the legs of the offshore platform, which will be located 30 km off the coast from Hawera. The jacket is currently in Port Taranaki harbor.
Once the jacket is installed, the rig will then begin drilling the Project’s three production wells and then finally install the topsides of the offshore platform.
Weighing approximately 16,000 tonnes, the Ensco 107 stands 157 meters high and is 63 meters wide. During the drilling campaign, approximately 100 drilling team members and their support staff will live onboard the rig.
The Kupe Gas Project is expected to be completed by mid-2009 and will produce approximately 254 petajoules of natural gas, 1.1 million tonnes of LPG and 14.7 million barrels of light oil (condensate).
Participants in the Kupe Gas Project are:
Origin Energy Limited (through its subsidiary Origin Energy Resources (Kupe) Limited (Operator) 50% Genesis Energy 31% New Zealand Oil & Gas Limited 15% Mitsui E&P Australia Pty Ltd 4%
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Genesis Energy more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- Genesis Buys Enterprise Offshore Pipelines for $1.5 Billion (Jul 16)
Company: Energy Resource Technology more info
- US Regulators Study Drilling in Shallow Water Following Blowout in July (Aug 06)
- BSEE Confirms ERT Stopped Leak in Natural Gas Well Off Louisiana Coast (Jul 15)
- ERT Stops Flow on Leaking Natural Gas Well Off Louisiana Coast (Jul 12)