Verenex Abandons Orca-1 Offshore France
Verenex Energy and its joint venture partners, Vermillion Energy and Bordeaux Energy have decided to abandon the Orca 1 well on the Aquitaine Maritime Permit in the Bay of Biscay, offshore France.
Although the well encountered a thick sandstone formation as indicated by seismic, no hydrocarbons were discovered. Evaluation of the data gathered from this well, together with further seismic evaluation should provide a better understanding of any potential of the remaining structures on the Aquitaine Maritime Permit.
Vermilion Exploration, a wholly owned subsidiary of Verenex, holds a 22.5% interest in the Aquitaine Maritime Permit following the drilling of the Orca 1 well. Under a farmout deal negotiated with Vermilion and Bordeaux in the fourth quarter of 2006, VEX was carried on its share of drilling costs (up to a maximum of US $17 million (net)) for the first exploratory well on the Permit. VEX's capital exposure is estimated to be approximately Cdn. $5.2 million, based on an expected gross well cost of US $55 million.
Although the well was not successful, the farmout deal enabled Verenex to test a high potential exploration opportunity at a manageable cost. The result will not impact the Company's core exploration program in Libya, which continues to show excellent results.
Verenex is a Canada-based, international oil and gas exploration and production company with a world-class exploration portfolio in the Ghadames Basin in Libya and the Bay of Biscay offshore France.
- Vermilion Energy Enters Farm-in Agreement in Germany (Jul 28)
- Parkmead Finds New Gas Field in Netherlands (Sep 24)
- Northern Petroleum Sells Dutch Assets (Oct 01)
Company: Verenex Energy more info
- Marathon Struggles to Exit Libya as Unrest Grows (Oct 25)
- Verenex Completes Arrangement with Libyan Investment Authority (Dec 21)
- Verenex Updates on Acquisition Status (Dec 15)
Company: Bordeaux Energy more info
- Bordeaux Energy: Kupcake-1 Exploratory Well Commences Drilling (Mar 27)
- Bordeaux Closes Agreement to Drill Alaska Exploratory Well (Dec 13)
- Bordeaux to Participate in Savant Alaska's North Slope Leases (Nov 15)