Statoil Makes Deepwater Gas Discovery Offshore Norway
Statoil has discovered gas in the Midnattsol prospect in the Norwegian Sea. The find was made in exploration well 6405/10-1 in production license 281.
"It's positive that a new gas find has been made in a deepwater area of the Norwegian Sea," says Frode Fasteland, acting head of exploration on the Norwegian continental shelf.
Midnattsol is located some 40 kilometers north of the Ormen Lange field and 30 kilometers south of the Ellida find.
The well was drilled in a water depth of 928 meters to a total depth of 3,158 metes below sea level. Gas was encountered in a reservoir of the late Cretaceous.
Core samples have been taken and an extremely thorough data acquisition program carried out. The collected data will be analysed to estimate the discovery's size and production characteristics. It is too early at this stage to declare the find commercial.
"We have great faith in the Norwegian Sea and will continue to have a high level of activity in the area," says Mr. Fasteland.
"Future activities include five exploration wells in the deepwater area in 2008. Three of them are Statoil-operated."
Midnattsol will be permanently plugged and abandoned. The Transocean Leader drilling rig will now be taken over by Eni.
The licensees in production license 281, blocks 6405/4, 7 and 10 are Statoil with a 50% interest, EON Ruhrgas (20%), Petoro (20%) and ConocoPhillips with 10%.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: E.ON more info
- Polish Antimonopoly Office Says Nord Stream 2 Threatens Competition (Jul 22)
- Premier Oil's Shares Remain Suspended amid Proposed E.ON Deal (Jan 14)
- Premier Oil to Acquire EON's UK North Sea Assets (Jan 13)