Total Strikes Again in Block 32
Sonangol and Total have made a new oil discovery with the eleventh exploration well in ultra deepwater Block 32 offshore Angola.
Drilled in a water depth of 1700 meters, the Colorau-1 well encountered Upper Oligocene oil bearing reservoirs. The well was tested at a rate of 2,130 barrels of oil per day through a 32/64" choke. This discovery is located in the northeastern part of Block 32, approximately 16 kilometers north east of Manjericao.
Complementary technical studies are being carried out to fully evaluate these promising drilling results, and further exploration drilling is underway and planned across the block.
Sonangol is the concessionaire of Block 32. Total holds a 30% interest as Operator. Other partners in Block 32 are Marathon Oil Company (30%), Sonangol E.P. (20%), Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Overseas) Limited (15%) and Petrogal (5%).
Ultra-deep exploration work conducted from 2003 to 2007 confirmed the potential of Block 32. Previous discoveries of Gindungo in 2003, Canela and Cola in 2004, Gengibre and Mostarda drilled in 2005, Salsa, Caril and Manjericao drilled in 2006 and the positive results from the recently drilled wells Louro and Cominhos in 2007 confirmed the major potential of the block.
Conceptual development studies are underway in order to establish the feasibility of a first development zone in the eastern part of the block. In addition, studies will be initiated to evaluate the development potential of the other discoveries.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)
Company: Petrogal more info
- Petrobras Confirms Oil Find at Pitu North-1 Well in Brazil's Potiguar Basin (Nov 18)
- First Oil Flows from 7-SPH-04-SPS Well in Sapinhoa Field in Santos Basin (Apr 07)
- SBM in $3.5B FPSO Deal (Jul 15)