Statoil and Odfjell to Develop New Subsea Technology
Statoil and Odfjell Drilling have signed a framework agreement for developing new technology.
Statoil has previously signed similar agreements with the Halliburton, Schlumberger and Baker companies regarding subsurface technology.
"The partnership for development of new technologies is important for Statoil achieving its ambitions for improved recovery of oil and gas," says Margareth Ovrum, Statoil's executive vice president for Technology & Projects (T&P).
"The deal with Odfjell Drilling will help strengthen our position."
Statoil requires technology development in the service areas Odfjell delivers. The company is one of the leading drilling contractors on the Norwegian continental shelf and has invested resources in new technology. It has also come far in the development of new work processes, with the help of principles from integrated operations (IO).
IO is all about how real time communication can make interaction between professional communities and decision makers more efficient, regardless of geographical location.
Statoil and Odfjell will establish a steering committee where upcoming joint projects will be discussed.
At present, some ongoing technology projects in which Statoil requires Odfjell's expertise are being discussed:
- Automated measurement of the drilling process
- Equipment for more efficient recycling of drilling slots
- Equipment for measuring the use of well casings
- Alternative materials in well casings for use in deep wells
"This is the first time Statoil has signed this kind of deal with a drilling contractor," says Pier Haaland, process owner for the drilling, well and production (BBP) network in T&P.
"We have great expectations that the deal will promote technology development."
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Odfjell more info
Manages 20 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)