DNV Staying Busy in China
The world's biggest floating production storage offloading unit (FPSO) is being built at Shanghai Waigaoqiao to DNV rules and is an important example of offshore competency.
Since the early 1980s, DNV has also been involved in the oil and gas activities in China. Work on offshore installations has included fixed platforms, FPSOs, and submarine pipelines. Since 2001, DNV has been actively providing extended services to onshore downstream sectors such as refineries, petrochemical plants, LNG terminals etc, with a focus on HSE Risk Management and Asset Integrity Management services.
DNV is the classification society of choice for offshore projects in China. Current projects include involvement with Cosco Shipyard, Dalian Shipbuilding, Hantong Shipbuilding, Shanghai Waigaoqiao and Yantai Raffles.
Sevan Marine's Floating Production Storage Offloading Unit is under construction at both Yantai Raffles (two units) and also Hantong Shipyard (one unit). Yantai Raffles is building two circular Sevan FPSO units for 2007 completion. The Sevan 300, with a storage capacity of 300,000 barrels can process and treat 30,000 barrels of oil and 3.6 million standard cubic meters of gas per day.
Another innovative and actually dramatic project is the DNV-classed rig, named "SS Frigstad Oslo" based on the Frigstad D90 design, that is being built at Yantai Raffles and will be the largest semi-submersible ever built. The rig will be used in ultra deep-water environments of up to 12,000 feet and drilling depth of 50,000 feet.
Elsewhere in the DNV offshore portfolio, CNOOC and ConocoPhillips China Inc are completing a contract with Shanghai Waigaoqiao for a 280,000 dwt FPSO hull for Peng Lai oil field in Bohai Bay. The $200m contract for the 310m long, 60m wide, 29m deep hull, is the largest yet built in China and will have storage capacity of 2 million barrels of crude oil. Another unique project is the order by MPF Corporation Limited, to build at Cosco Dalian Shipyard the hull of a Floating, Drilling, Processing, Storage and Offloading vessel (FDPSO).
There are also two harsh environment semisubmersible rigs for OffRig with DNV class at Yantai Raffles.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Yantai Raffles more info
- Newbuild COSLProspector Semisub Commences Sea Trial Offshore China (Oct 09)
- Aker Solutions Scores Jackup Drilling Equipment Contract (Apr 16)
- China's First Deepwater Semi Delivered (Nov 16)
Company: Det Norske Veritas (DNV) more info
- DNV Wins Verification Services Contract with Wintershall (Jan 29)
- DNV GL Merger Gets Clearance from Competition Authorities (Sep 12)
- DNV Breaks Ground for New Laboratory in Singapore (Jul 01)
Company: COSCO Shipyard more info
- In Brazil, Another Shipyard Goes Bust As Work Returns To Asia (Jul 18)
- Cosco Nantong to Delay Delivery of KS Orient Star 2 to End 2017 (May 13)
- Asian Yards See Weaker Revenues amid Uncertainty in Brazil (Mar 18)
Company: MPF Corp. more info
- Analysis: Deepwater, Ultra-Deepwater Newbuilds for 2009 and Beyond (Mar 30)
- MPF-01 Vessel with FPSO Capability Up for Grabs (Oct 27)
- MPF Corp Files for Insolvency (Sep 25)
Company: Dalian Shipbuilding Industry Offshore Co., Ltd. more info
- CNOOC Takes Delivery of FPSO Hai Yang Shi You 118 from DSIC (Aug 15)
- COSL Contracts DSIC Offshore, CMHI to Build 1 Semisub, 2 Jackups (Nov 01)
- Seadrill Orders Jack-Ups for Delivery 2015/2016 (Jun 20)
Company: Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. more info
- Pacific Crest Reaches Deal with Chinese Yards Over PSV Construction Spat (Sep 08)
- Pacific Crest Seeks Arbitration After Chinese Yards Failed to Deliver PSVs (Jun 14)
- SWS Offshore Awards OCS Group 2nd Jackup Support Team Contract (May 02)
Company: Hantong Shipyard more info
- DNV Staying Busy in China (Jun 07)