Wavefield Acquiring 2D Data in North Falkland Basin for Desire, Rockhopper
Desire Petroleum plc said that Wavefield InSeis on Sunday commenced a contract to acquire high resolution 2D shallow-seismic data at a number of potential drilling sites, on its licenses in the North Falkland Basin, using the seismic vessel "Bergen Surveyor." This vessel recently finished work for Falkland Oil and Gas Limited on their licenses to the south of the Falkland Islands.
Desire currently has detailed site survey information on 9 locations (Liz A, B, C, Beth A, B, C, Ninky A, Rachel A and Anna A) based on shallow 3D seismic data. Desire now wishes to acquire 2D shallow-seismic data at locations where the 3D data are not available, at the Ann prospect in Tranche C, and weather-permitting, at the Dawn prospect, in Tranche I and the Ruth prospect, in Tranche L.
The survey on Tranche C will be on behalf of Desire and its partner Rockhopper Exploration plc; Tranches I and L are 100% Desire licenses.
These data are necessary in order to be able to drill, providing information on shallow, potential hazards which could affect the surface location of the wellbore.
Acquiring these data will assist Desire in adding these prospects to the inventory of prospects that can be drilled when drilling resumes in the area.
Following these site surveys, Desire will be in position to drill any of 10--possibly 12--locations that will greatly assist decision-making during the drilling program. It will also ensure that, should the early wells prove successful, it will be possible immediately to continue with an extended drilling program.
Prospects in Tranches I and L have been enhanced by the results of the electromagnetic survey carried out by Rockhopper on its Ernest Prospect adjacent to Tranches I and L.
Commenting on these developments, Desire's Chief Executive Offer Ian Duncan said:
"The company now has a number of locations in the North Falkland Basin from which to select its final drilling program. With our detailed seismic knowledge and complementary electromagnetic data we are increasing the chances of exploration success once a rig is secured."
- Falkland Explorers Join Forces Ahead of New Drilling Round (Oct 03)
- Desire Granted Extension for Falkland License (Oct 31)
- Premier Oil Farms Into Rockhopper's Falklands Licenses (Jul 12)
Company: Falkland Oil & Gas more info
- Falkland Explorers Confirm Oil Discovery with Isobel Re-Drill (Jan 11)
- Premier Spuds Isobel-2 Well in North Falkland Basin (Nov 23)
- Sound Oil Makes Board Changes (Sep 28)
Company: Rockhopper Exploration more info
- ERCE: Sea Lion Complex Could Hold 1.7B Barrels of Oil (May 17)
- Beach Energy Updates on Sale of its Egyptian Subsidiary to Rockhopper (Apr 18)
- Subsea 7, National Oilwell Varco Secure Sea Lion FEED Contracts (Feb 11)
Company: Wavefield Inseis AS more info
- CGGVeritas Sets the Date for Acquisition of Wavefield Inseis (Feb 04)
- CGGVeritas' Settlement for Wavefield's Shares Expected to Close Tomorrow (Feb 03)
- CGGVeritas Closes Mandatory Offer for All Wavefield Shares (Jan 28)