Steel Production Begins for New Odfjell Semisub
Odfjell Drilling announced a milestone achievement in Deepsea Atlantic project. The first steel milestone for rig No. 1, Deepsea Atlantic, was reached in line with plan, confirming the project being on schedule for October 2008 delivery from the yard DSME.
"I am honored to represent Odfjell Drilling and our project team on this Steel Cutting ceremony for the Deepsea Atlantic project," said Hakon Klepsvik, Odfjell site manager, in his speech at the Steel Cutting ceremony for Deepsea Atlantic this week. The ceremony emphasized the change in focus for the project, which is transitioning from from engineering and office work to construction and mainly shop floor work.
"Being able to kick-off the construction phase by 'pushing the button' on the scheduled date, gives us great confidence showing that the right partners have been chosen on the project," continued Klepsvik.
Reminded about safety
"This is the time to remind each other of the safety aspects and our overall project goal to complete this project without injuries to any personnel. We want to send all workers and involved personnel back to their families after completion of this project without any injuries," said Klepsvik. During the ceremony, candles were lit, a brief meditation time was observed, and a safety prayer was recited.
Challenges and common goals
"There are still a lot of challenges ahead of all of us in this project, and I'm very pleased to see that all parties are working hard to get a close and good relationship," concluded Klepsvik. "I think this is crucial in the time to come, for us to be able to efficiently solve issues together as a team. To my understanding we are all aiming towards the same goal."
Following Klepsvik's address, DSME Yard representative W.SW Ryu, Klepsvik, and DNV project manager Mike Brogan participated in a cake-cutting ceremony. Next, Klepsvik pressed the start button to cut the first steel plate.
Deepsea Atlantic is scheduled to be delivered at the end of October 2008. After delivery, the rig will be towed to the Norwegian waters and commence a long-term contract with Statoil on the Gullfaks field.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Statoil Has Room To Grow More In North Dakota's Bakken (Mar 06)
- Big Oil CEOs Appeal to Norway to Back Carbon Capture and Storage (Feb 15)
- Norwegian Police Investigate 2016 Hydrogen Leak At Statoil Refinery (Feb 09)
Company: Odfjell more info
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)
Company: Det Norske Veritas (DNV) more info
- DNV Wins Verification Services Contract with Wintershall (Jan 29)
- DNV GL Merger Gets Clearance from Competition Authorities (Sep 12)
- DNV Breaks Ground for New Laboratory in Singapore (Jul 01)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)