ABB Wins $26M Contract in Qatar
ABB has received a $26-million order as the Main Electrical and Instrumentation Vendor (MEIV) for two oil platforms currently being built for Maersk Oil Qatar.
ABB's scope of supply includes systems for electrification, telecommunications, instrumentation, fire and gas, safety and navigational aids. The company will also support detail engineering design, yard fabrication and offshore commissioning.
"This project demonstrates our continuing partnership with leading oil and gas operators," said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, head of ABB's Process Automation division. "Our customers rely on ABB to help improve platform efficiency while lowering energy use and environmental impact."
ABB has more than 4,500 dedicated oil and gas engineers worldwide and a track record of more than 1,000 successful projects in this sector during the past 50 years. The Qatar platform projects will be completed through close cooperation between ABB units in Norway and Denmark, and the EPC contractor, Sime Darby Engineering, who will execute detail engineering design from its Malaysia facilities.
In late 2005, Maersk Oil Qatar and Qatar Petroleum agreed on a plan for further development of the Al Shaheen Field off Qatar. The field development plan calls for drilling of more than 160 production and water injection wells during a 6-year period, along with 19 new platforms interconnected by sub sea pipelines.
ABB system deliveries for the two current platforms will begin during the first quarter of 2008 and are scheduled to be completed in late 2008. The platforms will begin operations in late 2009. The order was booked in the first quarter.
ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. The ABB Group of companies operates in around 100 countries and employs about 109,000 people.
- Oil Industry Teams Up to Fight Cyber-Crime (Sep 29)
- Aker Solutions, ABB Team Up To Develop Subsea Production (Apr 27)
- ABB Wins NOK 1.1B Statoil Power Contract (Mar 16)
Company: Sime Engineering more info
- ABB Wins $26M Contract in Qatar (May 14)
- Sime Engineering Services Wins Work Offshore Qatar (Feb 09)
- Sime Engineering Wins Talisman Contract (Jul 27)
Company: Qatar Petroleum more info
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- Qatar Says It's Fulfilling Oil and Gas Deals Despite Gulf Crisis (Sep 13)
- Cyprus Says to Push Ahead with Energy Plans Despite Challenges (Jun 29)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)