DNV, Partners Pursue Ship Design 'Powerhouse'
Aker Yards, Rolls Royce Marine and DNV are joining forces with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim. The intention is to build an international powerhouse for research and education on the topic "The effective design of ships for the future."
The maritime industry will face new expectations. The focus on areas such as environmental performance and onboard working conditions has increased and will continue to increase in the years to come. By establishing a core research and knowledge team at NTNU, this industry will be better prepared to meet these new challenges.
NTNU is now advertising for five graduate engineer and two post doctorate positions to establish a core research and knowledge team. This team will be completed by 10-15 students with MSc degrees.
This powerhouse will, together with the existing and very strong research and educational environment at NTNU, focus on the effective design of ships for the future. The end-user needs will change and new designs must not only meet what is actually expected of them but also exceed this in order to prepare the vessels for a long life.
Production friendliness and design effectiveness are other key words for the team. Production friendliness is to ensure state-of-the-art production technologies and processes to enhance quality and cost-effective production. Design effectiveness is to do the same when it comes to design technology and the design process itself.
Tor E. Svensen, the chief operating officer of DNV Maritime, said: "This group of Norwegian companies have achieved a high degree of international success and today enjoy a strong market position in our respective businesses. Through this initiative we intend to further strengthen our position by attracting the most competent people and building the knowledge and process to enhance the ability of Norwegian-based maritime companies to compete internationally."
Through this initiative, Aker Yards, Rolls Royce Marine and DNV will support NTNU by providing funding, active involvement in factual cases and close cooperation between the research and education environment and the industry partners.
- DNV Wins Verification Services Contract with Wintershall (Jan 29)
- DNV GL Merger Gets Clearance from Competition Authorities (Sep 12)
- DNV Breaks Ground for New Laboratory in Singapore (Jul 01)
Company: Aker Yards more info
- STX Europe Refinances Revolving Credit Facility (Nov 06)
- Aker Yards Swaps Name for STX to Focus on International Market (Nov 03)
- Wartsila to Supply Propulsion Equipment for 5 Offshore Vessels (Nov 03)
Company: Rolls Royce Marine more info
- Rolls-Royce Marine to Cut 800 Jobs by Summer (Feb 14)
- Rolls-Royce To Cut Another 800 Jobs At Marine Unit (Dec 01)
- Rolls-Royce Snags Seven Offshore Vessels in Brazil (May 14)