Pancontinental: Airborne Kenya Survey Set to Begin
Gippsland Offshore Petroleum has announced the immenent commencement of an airborne geophysical survey on Block L-6 in the Lamu Basin, Kenya, according to joint venture partner Pancontinental Oil & Gas NL.
L-6 is a coastal block with approximately 30% of the area being onshore. The airborne survey, and specifically the Falcon technology contained therein, is considered key in linking the known onshore geology to the offshore geology and helping to unlock the basin's structural settings.
With the aircraft's arrival in Malindi, Kenya, the airborne geophysical survey is scheduled to commence within a week and take approximately three weeks. The survey is expected to fly over 6,000 line kilometers.
PCL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Svalbe said: "The forthcoming Falcon gravity data will greatly improve the understanding of the petroleum habitat within the onshore, nearshore and offshore areas of the L-6 block, especially when integrated with the Gippsland operated, recently completed, extensive offshore seismic survey. The combined GOP and Origin seismic surveys in L-6, L-8 and L-9, represent over 5,000 kms of new high quality detail and regional infill seismic data that have been acquired this year in the 3 blocks at no cost to the company. All this new 2-D seismic and airborne geophysical data is aimed at high grading potential 2008 and 2009 drilling targets."
Participants in the L-6 Block Joint Venture are:
- Gippsland offshore Petroleum Limited (operator) 60%
- Pancontinental Oil & Gas NL 40%
Pancontinental Oil & Gas NL is focused on numerous national and
international oil and gas plays, with projects in the Northwest of Western
Australia, Kenya's Lamu Basin, offshore Namibia, Malta and an application for offshore
- Tullow Kudu Stays on as JV Partner in Namibian Offshore License PEL 37 (Apr 08)
- Tullow Gets More Time to Decide on Participation in Namibian PEL 0037 JV (Apr 04)
- Africa-Focused Pancontinental Raises $1.6M in New Shares to Fund Operations (Dec 04)
Company: Gippsland Offshore Petroleum more info
- Gippsland Offshore Snags Gas Rights, to Drill 2 Wells in Kenya (Oct 31)
- Gippsland's Second Quarter Marked by JV Well Development (Jul 31)
- Gippsland Lands Saint Griede Permit in France's Aquitaine Basin (Jun 25)