Venezuela to Open Opegasur to Middle East, Asia
The South American country will make the announcement at the next GECF meeting scheduled for April 9 in Doha.
"What started as merely a South American initiative will expand to include some of the world's largest producers in the Middle and Far East," Jorge Luis Sanchez, president of Venezuelan gas regulator Enagas, said in reference to Opegasur.
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez is promoting Opegasur, which was launched in January and has attracted Argentina and Bolivia as members.
In addition to setting prices through production quotas, Opegasur would finance E&P projects and have member countries share E&P technology.
Other GECF-member countries such as Algeria, Qatar, Iran and Russia are ready to launch a similar natural gas organization styled on OPEC at the Doha meeting, Venezuela's state news agency ABN reported on Monday.
"It is absolutely right these interests [of gas-producing countries around the world] come together," Sanchez said. "Natural gas is more important every day, it's more expensive every day."
Sanchez has represented Venezuela three times at GECF, which is four-years-old. Trinidad & Tobago also is a member of GECF, which does not set prices.
State-owned PDVSA Gas, an affiliate of state oil firm PDVSA, dominates natural gas production in Venezuela with more than 90% of the total.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 10-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- UK Offshore Energy Calls for Labour Party Meet
- Aker BP's 1.07 Bboe North Sea Projects Get Parliament Nod
- Coal Getting Cheaper in China Despite Heat-Induced Demand Surge
- Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Eyes to Fuel Sea Transport with Ammonia
- Distillate Crack Spreads Return to February 2022 Levels: EIA
- Americas Exploration Heats Up
- Gas South Inks Plumbing Deal for Its Consumers
- Saudi Oil Cut Risks Leaving Bitter Taste for Budget
- Irving Oil Starts Review That Puts Key Refinery on Market
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Regulator Fines Hilcorp Alaska in Latest of Over 60 Enforcement Actions
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?