Petrobras, Petroperu to Decide on Maranon Exploration November 2008
Peru's state oil company Petroperu and Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) have until November 2008 to decide whether to convert the technical evaluation agreements (TEAs) on six blocks in Peru's Maranon basin to exploration contracts, a Petrobras spokesperson told BNamericas in an email.
The TEAs were signed in November 2005.
The pre-exploration stage to be carried out between the companies consists of magnetometry and magnetogravimetry works, the spokesperson said.
The pre-exploration stage is meant to define the positions of basins and sedimentary deposits but not structural traps, the spokesperson said.
Colombia's state oil company Ecopetrol likely will join the companies in their exploration efforts.
"Initially, [Ecopetrol] didn't enter because the agreement with Petrobras was already very advanced. Once again, the opportunity for Ecopetrol to participate has presented itself and it's very probable that it will happen," the spokesperson said.
If Ecopetrol signs on, a technical evaluation will be needed to determine which of the six blocks to develop following approval from each of the companies.
After the evaluations, the companies would define what participation each would have in the blocks.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 10-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: Ecopetrol more info
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Names New CEO, Echeverry Resigns (Aug 17)
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Rubiales Oil Output Hit By Protests (Jun 27)
- Rebel Bomb Attack Halts Colombia's Cano Limon Crude Pipeline (Jun 22)
Company: Petroperu more info
- Company: Explosion At Petroperu Crude Oil Tank Kills Two Workers (Dec 06)
- Peru Crude Oil Pipeline Resumes Operation After Year Of Spills (Sep 26)
- Peru To Issue Up To $3B In Bonds To Finance State-Run Oil Firm (Apr 18)