OVL Wants Greater Stake in Venezuelan Field
ONGC Videsh (OVL), the overseas investment arm of petroleum exploration major Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), wants the Venezuelan government to raise OVL's stake in the San Cristobal field to 49 percent.
Venezuela, through its national oil company Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), has offered OVL a 30-percent stake in the onshore field.
India's Minister for Petroleum, Murli Deora, has sent a letter to Venezuela's Minister of Energy and Petroleum and PDVSA's President, Rafael Ramirez Carreno, to "reconsider the decision and offer a participating interest of up to 49 percent, instead of 30 percent."
In the letter, Deora has said the 49-percent stake would be "befitting the growing cooperation" between the two countries. He said that after the visit of the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to India in March 2005, OVL was given an assurance that it would be offered a 49-percent stake in San Cristobal.
However, in January of this year, PDVSA Vice-President Luis P Vierma told reporters in New Delhi that OVL would be offered a 30-percent stake in the field. The decreased participating interest has turned out to be a sore point.
Meanwhile, Venezuela has also invited ONGC to participate in quantification and certification of reservoirs for the Junin block in the Orinoco belt.
Venezuela is the world's fifth-largest crude oil producer. PDVSA is also the fifth-largest crude oil producing company in the world and the fourth-largest refiner.
In March 2005, India and Venezuela signed an umbrella agreement for cooperation in the hydrocarbon sector. The onshore San Cristobal oilfield has the potential to produce 100,000 barrels of oil a day.
Experts believe that accelerating development of the petroleum sector could make Venezuela Latin America's wealthiest country within the next decade. Much of this development is expected to come through foreign commercial ties.
Operates 37 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)
- Cuba Takes Over Venezuela Stake In Refinery Joint Venture (Dec 14)
- Union Leader: PDVSA's Amuay Refinery Halts Distillation Unit (Nov 30)
Company: ONGC Videsh more info
- India's ONGC Videsh to Spend Over $3 Billion on Iran Gas Block (Apr 04)
- India Clears ONGC's Extra 11% Stake Buy in Russia's Vankor Fields (Oct 05)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)
Company: Indian Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas more info
- India Seeking Merger Model For Possible State Oil Champion (Aug 02)
- India Overtakes Japan as World's Third Largest Oil User After US, China (Jun 09)
- India, Iran Plan to Seal Deal to Develop Offshore Farzad B Field by October (Jun 06)