Pancontinental Wins Offshore Namibia Permit
Pancontinental Oil & Gas NL has been awarded a 30,000 square kilometer offshore Reconnaissance License (RL) in the emerging hydrocarbon province, offshore Namibia.
Awarded by the Namibian Government, the 100%-held RL No. 1 of 2007 is located 400km south of the Angolan border in water depths from 300 meters to 3,000 meters (m), with over half the area situated in depths of less than 1,500m.
PCL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Svalbe said: "Following a regional technical review by the Company of the entire offshore Namibian area, essential geological elements of an oil and gas petroleum system appear to be present in the granted RL area.
"The offshore Namibia region contains the significant Kudu Gas Discovery, which demonstrates the presence of an active petroleum system in this under-explored region," he said.
Under the terms of the RL, the Company has two years (plus possible extensions) to undertake more detailed and exhaustive technical studies of existing seismic and well information to refine the petroleum model and establish an inventory of commercially viable prospects and leads. The company can then elect to enter a Petroleum Agreement with an exploration period of up to eight years to further explore this area.
"The award of the large offshore Namibia RL adds to the Company's portfolio of strategic international offshore assets. Although still a frontier area, the Company believes that with additional work, an impressive inventory of prospects can be added in the future. PCL joins BHP Billiton, Hunt, Tullow Energy and Energy Africa, plus other major energy companies in offshore Namibia."
Pancontinental Oil & Gas is focused on numerous national and international oil
and gas plays. PCL has projects in the Northwest of Western Australia, Kenya's Lamu Basin,
offshore Namibia, Malta and offshore Mediterranean Morocco.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Hunt Oil more info
- Hunt Oil Company Says It Will Cut 10% Of Its Workforce (Apr 07)
- Pluspetrol to Invest $500M in Peru Natgas Block (Aug 04)
- KNOC Subsidiary Gathers Canadian Assets From Hunt (Dec 15)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- Ivory Coast Awards Tullow Two New Oil and Gas Blocks (Jan 17)
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
Company: Pancontinental Oil and Gas more info
- Tullow Kudu Stays on as JV Partner in Namibian Offshore License PEL 37 (Apr 08)
- Tullow Gets More Time to Decide on Participation in Namibian PEL 0037 JV (Apr 04)
- Africa-Focused Pancontinental Raises $1.6M in New Shares to Fund Operations (Dec 04)
Company: Energy Africa more info
- Petroceltic Names O'Cathain Executive Chairman (Apr 24)
- Pancontinental Wins Offshore Namibia Permit (Mar 09)
- Petrobras Acquires Stake in Block L Offshore Equatorial Guinea (Jan 11)