TODCO Signs Three-Year Malaysian Contract
TODCO has signed a three-year drilling contract for its drilling rig, THE 208. The rig, a 200-foot mat-supported cantilevered jack up rig, was constructed in 1980 and has been cold-stacked in Trinidad since March, 2002.
The rig is currently being transported to a shipyard in Southeast Asia where it will undergo an extensive shipyard reactivation and upgrade that will include conversion from a mechanically driven rig to a conventionally powered SCR rig. Since we are in the process of finalizing bids from several shipyards the final reactivation and upgrade costs as well as the exact timing for reactivation of THE 208 remain uncertain. However, it is anticipated that the rig will begin drilling operations through a local contractor by the end of 2007 for Murphy Sarawak Oil Co., Ltd. ("Murphy Oil") to develop the Sarawak area offshore East Malaysia. Total revenues from the three-year term of the contract are anticipated to be approximately $130 million.
Jan Rask, President and Chief Executive Officer, said "We are very pleased with the signing of this contract for THE 208 and the work it will be doing for Murphy Oil. This contract is the result of our recent emphasis to market our mat-supported equipment in selected international markets and we look forward to working with our local contractor and Murphy Oil in Malaysia."
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)
Company: TODCO more info
- AETI Alliance Group to Service Brazilian Offshore Drilling, Marine Markets (Dec 04)
- Hercules Merger Consideration in Acquisition of TODCO (Jul 16)
- Hercules Completes Acquisition of TODCO (Jul 11)