Indonesia Awards 9 Oil, Gas Blocks; Initial Investment $411.1M
JAKARTA Mar 02, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
The Indonesian government Friday awarded a total of nine oil and gas blocks to international and local companies, which will invest a combined $411.1 million during the first three years of exploration.
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources said a consortium comprising Total S.A. (TOT) and Japan's Inpex Corp. won the offshore Sungai Mahakam oil and gas block in Kalimantan, while a joint venture between Premier Oil (PMO.LN) and Mitsui Oil Exploration Co. got a block in the Natuna Sea.
A joint venture between Indonesia's Pertamina (PTM.YY) and Norway's Statoil ASA (STL.OS) obtained the Karama block offshore West Sulawesi, and Talisman Energy Inc. (TLM) won the Sageri block offshore South Sulawesi.
Esso Exploration International, a unit of Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM), was awarded with the Mandar block offshore West Sulawesi.
The other companies being awarded blocks were mostly local, little-known companies.
The nine blocks are part of 20 blocks that Indonesia had offered to investors. It failed to attract interest in all of them.
Director General of Oil and Gas and the ministry Luluk Sumiarso said the government will re-offer the 11 blocks in April.
Sumiarso added that the government hopes to offer around 40 blocks in total this year. The only Southeast Asian member of the Organization Petroleum Exporting Countries has seen its crude oil production dwindle to 30-year lows last year with most of its wells maturing.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Pertamina more info
- Pertamina Signs JV Deal With Russia's Rosneft For New Tuban Refinery (Nov 28)
- Indonesia's Pertamina To Spend $700MM On Mahakam Oil, Gas Block Next Year (Nov 02)
- Pertamina: Indonesia To Become LNG Importer In 2020 As Population Grows (Oct 25)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Inpex Halts Construction At Australian LNG Site After Worker Dies (Nov 30)
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
Company: Premier Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Independents Go Big in North Sea (Jan 03)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
- Mexico Oil Privatization Pays Off With Billion-Barrel Find (Jul 12)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)