Gazprom to Take Majority Stake in Sakhalin Energy
Gazprom's board has approved deals for the company to join Sakhalin Energy Investment Co. Ltd. as the leading shareholder.
On December 21, 2006, Gazprom, Royal Dutch Shell plc, Mitsui & Co., Ltd. (Mitsui) and Mitsubishi Corporation signed the Protocol on Gazprom's joining Sakhalin Energy Investment Company Ltd. (Sakhalin-2 project operator) as the main shareholder.
In pursuance with the terms set in the Protocol, Gazprom will purchase 50 percent plus one share in Sakhalin Energy for US$7.45 billion. Each of the existing Sakhalin Energy shareholders will decrease its stake by 50 percent at the proportional payment distribution aimed at making the deal.
The Coordinating Committee was set up in pursuance of the January 30, 2007, Order of the Gazprom Management Committee Chairman Alexey Miller to implement the Gazprom Sakhalin Island Offshore Development Strategy endorsed by the Board of Directors in 2006. Along with other responsibilities, the Coordinating Committee will coordinate Gazprom's joining Sakhalin Energy Investment Company Ltd. as its main shareholder.
Being the most explored area in the Far Eastern Seas, the Sakhalin Island offshore has seen the discovery of nine hydrocarbon fields with the aggregate gas, oil and condensate reserves making up 1.2 tcm, 394.4 million t and 88.5 million t, respectively. The prospective hydrocarbon resources in Sakhalin's offshore exceed 6 btce.
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- Gazprom Says Sanctions Won't Stop Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Project (Aug 30)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Sakhalin Energy Investment Co. more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Sakhalin Energy Appoints BMT to Provide Weather Forecasting Services (Mar 16)
- Sakhalin Energy Delivers 100th Cargo of Russian LNG (Jan 29)
- Sakhalin Energy Welcomes New Chief Executive Officer (Dec 07)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)
- Japanese Banks Expand To Ranks of World's Biggest Energy Lenders (Jun 09)