Pancontinental: Offshore Kenya Seismic Completed
Gippsland Offshore and its L-6 joint venture partner Pancontinental Oil and Gas have completed the 1,240 line km 2-D seismic program offshore Kenya. The Geomariner vessel is demobilizing from the region. The program was completed in time and under budget.
The joint venture now looks forward to the commencement of the approximate 1,500 square kilometer BHP Billiton-operated Falcon airborne gravity gradiometry survey scheduled for start-up in the middle of March.
Gippsland Offshore Petroleum will earn a 60% equity in the Lamu Basin L-6 block by spending US$1.9 million on this geophysical program. Gippsland Offshore is the operator for the joint venture.
L-6 is a coastal block with approximately 30% of the area being onshore. The Falcon technology is key to linking the geology from the onshore to the offshore and helping to unlock the basin's structural setting of the basin.
Interpretation of the new seismic and Falcon data will be completed by August 2007 in preparation for moving into the drilling phase of the program.
Pancontinental's Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Svalbe, said:
"With the completion of both the Gippsland operated seismic survey in L-6 and Origin operated seismic in L-8 and L-9, 5,000 kms of new high quality seismic data have been acquired this year in the 3 blocks at no cost to the company. This new detail and regional infill 2-D seismic data is aimed at high grading potential 2008 and 2009 drilling targets, and in conjunction with the forthcoming Falcon gravity data greatly improve the understanding of the petroleum habitat within the onshore, nearshore and offshore areas of these 3 large blocks."
Participants in the L-6 Joint Venture are:
- Gippsland Offshore (Operator) 60%
- Pancontinental Oil and Gas Limited (PCL) 40%
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Pancontinental Oil and Gas more info
- Tullow Kudu Stays on as JV Partner in Namibian Offshore License PEL 37 (Apr 08)
- Tullow Gets More Time to Decide on Participation in Namibian PEL 0037 JV (Apr 04)
- Africa-Focused Pancontinental Raises $1.6M in New Shares to Fund Operations (Dec 04)
Company: Gippsland Offshore Petroleum more info
- Gippsland Offshore Snags Gas Rights, to Drill 2 Wells in Kenya (Oct 31)
- Gippsland's Second Quarter Marked by JV Well Development (Jul 31)
- Gippsland Lands Saint Griede Permit in France's Aquitaine Basin (Jun 25)