Santos Finds Gas at Caldita-2 Offshore Australia
Santos has completed the current phase of the offshore Timor/Bonaparte Basin drilling program, with the rig release from Caldita-2.
The Caldita-2 well is located 6 kilometers west-northwest of the Caldita-1 discovery well which was drilled in 2005. Caldita-2 was drilled to a total depth of 3,973 meters and confirmed the presence of gas in the western part of the Caldita structure. The field gas-water contact was confirmed and valuable core, wireline log and formation pressure data was obtained. A reduced reservoir section of similar quality to that found in the Caldita-1 well was encountered.
The well was not drill-stem tested and has been plugged and abandoned as originally planned.
The forward program for the NT/P61 and NT/P69 exploration permits is to complete the acquisition and processing of 3D seismic data over the Caldita and nearby Barossa structures by the end of the first quarter 2008. The well data will then be integrated into the interpretation and subsequent reservoir modelling, leading to a better understanding of the likely resources and future development options.
Caldita-2 is located in exploration permit NT/P61, 265 kilometers north-northwest of Darwin in water depth of 136 meters.
The participants in NT/P61 are ConocoPhillips Australia Exploration Pty Ltd as operator with 60% and Santos Offshore Pty Ltd Limited with the remaining 40%.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)